The author and playwright Sara Stridsberg has been elected as a member of the Swedish Academy. In the literary world celebrated her entrance, but for her personally, the decision to say yes is not entirely clear.
Sara Stridsberg appointed as member of the Academy’s ceremonial meeting on December 20 this year.
– It’s a little messy right now. I’m in Helsinki to promote my book “Beckomberga” to be launched in Finland. The phone has rung constantly. I am very grateful and happy, but will not do any more interviews, said Sara Stridsberg when Sydsvenskan reach her Friday morning.
It was during Thursday night that Sara Stridsberg, 43, multiple praised and lives in Stockholm, got one for her unexpected call.
While she was on board a messy Finland Ferry, in search of something edible from the evening buffet, she was asked to be part of one of the Swedish literary world’s most prestigious rooms, the Swedish Academy.
– It felt like a call from another planet, she says to the Swedish newspaper Svenska Dagbladet.
at first, Sara Stridsberg not quite sure if she would say yes, she told TT. But after a night of many considerations she made the final decision and Friday morning presented the Swedish Academy news in a press release: Sara Stridsberg occupies seat number 13 and replaces Gunnel Vallquists seat as a member.
The reason that Sara Stridsberg accepted is because she knows that the book’s position is fragile and threatened. But as an Academy member maybe she can help to change this, she explains.
The entry in the Academy entails some obligations, but she is sure that it can not take away time from her literary creation.
– I have told the academy that I feel very doubtful whether I am the right person, for my heart is in writing and I think I would be deeply unhappy if I did not get or could not write. So they have promised me that it is their primary interest that I should do what I do, she says to the Swedish newspaper Svenska Dagbladet.
In the literary world received the news of Sara Stridsberg’s entry for the most part with happy cries.
– it’s amazing, it’s a relatively young female writer who is one of the most prominent of his generation. The Academy is a classic male bastion so it feels great that she gets elected, says Torbjörn Forslid, professor of literature at the University of Lund.
He says that the decision to elect Sara Stridsberg as one of the eighteen important for the Academy’s legitimacy, but also to get a representation from different generations and also for its balance.
– the Academy is often seen as a traditional place, but it need not be. The Academy has been an important focal point for literature and for those who are interested in literature, it is an excellent opportunity to make impact. With Sara Danius, Lotta Lotass and now Sara Stridsberg as members starting to get into more younger women. It can certainly affect the literature in a new way, says Torbjörn Forslid.
Rachel Chukri the Culture Department of the HD and Sydsvenskan. Although she was pleased with the news that Sara Stridsberg elected to the Swedish Academy.
– She is a radical writers whose works are characterized by feminism and strong fighting spirit. She often depict society’s outcasts and underdogs, which I perceive as a protest against the bourgeois salon culture. It will be interesting to see how much she can influence the Swedish Academy from within, says Rachel Chukri.
According to her, Sara Stridsberg one of the most interesting writers and playwrights, and hence both a given, but also exciting choices academy member.
– the male dominance among literary award winners have been a confidence problem for the academy. Stridsberg can hopefully help to get a better balance, which she herself has hinted.
Author, translator and playwright, born in 1972 in Solna.
in 2004, she debuted as an author with the novel “Happy Sally ‘.
2006 was the book” the Dream Faculty’ out of which she in 2007 won the Nordic Council Literature Prize. That same year was her piece “Valerie Jean Solanas will become President in America” at Dramaten.
Her latest book “Beckomberga: Ode to my family,” came out in 2014.
March 2016 was the play “American Hotel” on the Culture City Theatre and 13 May it was announced that she will be a newly elected member of the Swedish Academy.