Thursday, December 10, 2015

Margaret Drabble toward the future – Swedish Dagbladet

Margaret Drabble slide your finger across the books on the coffee table, “millstone” of 1965, “Realms of Gold” in 1975 and “Ivory Gate” from 1991. The covers are dark; stone, gray wallpaper, black water.

“beautiful”, her statement about the new Swedish editions.

– It is amazing that they have not disappeared, and it is strange that some of the substances are still valid, she continues.

The breakthrough novel “millstone” depicts a young single mother’s hardships. From there one can draw several parallels to today, says Margaret Drabble.

– There are problems for women that do not disappear. Circumstances change, but the choices are still there, she says, and mentions the lack of childcare in the home country of England. She had hoped for a faster development in their lifetime.

Behind her is a way a writer. Since 1963, Margaret Drabble published 18 novels, with different themes and stories.

“All substances are Drabble substances”, as Therese Eriksson says in the Swedish preface to “Realms of Gold”.

The novels depict no direct personal experience – Margaret Drabble is careful to keep his private life outside of literature – but they still reflect her life. As a young mother portrayed her young mothers, when his career took off career women. Now she is older, which also characterizes She describes her latest novel “The pure gold baby” in 2013 as an attempt to show how motherhood affects a whole lifetime.

But of glances she rarely returned. Next year is given yet another Drabble’s novel out, and she’d rather come.

– I’m not nostalgic at all. My dad used to say that he was not at all interested in the future because he would not see it, but I’m excited. But sometimes, when I am feeling grumpy, I try to remember everything that was good.

What makes you grumpy?

– British politics. Banks. Gobaliseringen.

Instead of giving way to frustration uses Drabble, who is outspoken feminist, her role as a reputable writer to express their opinions in public. In literature the agenda is not as straight, where she wishes to highlight rather than encourage.

– I write to find answers, but want to make other people aware of the problems I call. It’s like a kind of ongoing social commentary, and in the meantime the woman’s opportunities become more and more.

Were you born in the wrong time?

– Absolutely not! I was born in an unusually good time, unlike my mother. She was not allowed to use their talent and became bitter.

Writing is rewarding, says Margaret Drabble. But at times the writing profession also been a yoke. As a young student, she dreamed about the theater, about the community behind the scene.

– I regret sometimes that I became a writer. There are many good things with it, independence, freedom, but it is also insulating. The older I get the harder it is for me to reinvent myself again.

How would you like to be remembered?

– Doris Lessing had a good expression, if the person who pushes the rock a bit up the hill. It did not change the world, but it was there when moved and did their part to help. As an audience person I want to be seen as someone whose work improved, especially for women. As a man, I hope that my children will remember me as someone who really took care of them, who were happy.

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment